Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Starry Starry Night

Happy Tuesday, everyone!! It's a pretty dismal day outside here today, but I hope some of you are experiencing some lovely summer sun somewhere.

Did you happen to catch the 2012 Tony Awards on CBS this past Sunday night?


I live for this fantastic awards show every second Sunday of June, and this year was a phenomenal show.  Audra McDonald (one of my idols) won her first Tony Award in the Best Actress in a Musical for the role of Bess (in Porgy and Bess), while her show won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical.

So... may I please be Audra McDonald?

I was also super happy that the Broadway interpretation of the movie Once was able to sweep nearly every category it was nominated for, including Best Musical.  I was also ecstatic that Clyborne Park (a sort of a sequel to A Raisin in the Sun) won Best Play; I had to read it for school this past year and I really loved it.  Also, even though Andrew Garfield (the new Spider-Man!!) didn't win for Best Featured Actor in a Play (Christian Borle, the original Emmett in Legally Blonde: The Musical and composer Tom Levitt on NBC's Smash, won instead!!), the play Garfield was in, the literary classic Death of a Salesman, won Best Revival of a Play.  All in all, you can say I was pretty happy with this years awards.

Emma Stone with nominee (and Spider-Man!) Andrew Garfield and Best Feature Actor in a Play winner Christian Borle

And with the flawless Neil Patrick Harris hosting yet again, how could they really go wrong?


Did you get to see the Tony Awards this year?  Have you seen them before?  What is your favorite Broadway musical or play?  What do you think of this year's winners?  Let me know!!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment