Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Everybody Dance Now!

Helloooo again! I'm finally back from my week of working and I'm definitely still worn out; young children have so much energy!  I had tons of fun working with the kids though and I really hope they continue to learn and grow and maybe even pursue theatre...who knows?

As I try to relax and catch up on sleep, I have been catching up with a lot of my favorite shows on Hulu and have begun to notice a pattern.  I don't necessarily watch a lot of TV, but there are a few shows that I make sure I watch on a weekly basis.  My favorite show of all time is So You Think You Can Dance? (which airs at 8/7 central on Fox each Wednesday), and I have started to realize that many other shows I watch and enjoy are also about dance.  I have just started watching both Bunheads (on ABC Family) and Breaking Pointe (on The CW) and I am most definitely hooked on both.  Having taken dance for years, I am still always astounded at the sheer discipline and determination that all of these dancers possess; their passion, though occasionally obsessive, is quite inspiring.  As I was stretching at home recently in my weak attempt to become anywhere near as graceful and coordinated and beautiful as these dancers, I decided that I should do a post about my dance essentials, for they are a major factor in my overall style.  I spend many days wearing these clothes throughout the year and I think that they contribute to my overall comfortable, unrestrained, and free-flowing ensembles.  Enjoy!

Don't You Wanna Dance:

Dance Essentials

I have a very specific formula when it comes to dressing for dance.  I find that trying too hard to be cute and fashionable in just an unnecessary waste of time, so I rely on basic pieces.  The key to my dance look is layering; I find that if I am ever too hot or too cold while dancing, I can't focus and therefore, I am not getting as much out of the class as I could.  Layering is definitely the solution to this issue...you can always add and subtract layers.

To start, I have compiled an arsenal of Target's C9 by Champion collection of colorful sports bras.  These bras are so comfortable and supportive and the colors are incredibly cute and fun.  Another staple of my dance look are racerback tank tops.  When I was younger, I used to wear camisoles from Limited Too... I mean, Justice... but found that they could become too close fitting and stuffy, particularly while dancing.  Conversely, loose fitting racerback tanks are very breathable and flowing.  I also like how I am not distracted by straps or sleeves falling down my shoulder, as I was when I used to wear camis or regular tanks.

Next, I almost always wear a pair of shorts, no matter what the weather outside.  My favorites are the Capezio brand spandex cheer/dance/bike shorts (as seen in the bottom right corner).  They are incredibly comfortable and their tighter fit makes it easier to spot mistakes in alignment more easily.  I also really love Soffe shorts (bottom left corner); they're inexpensive, comfortable, and are appropriate for most athletic endeavors.  They stretch really nicely and last forever...I have had a few of my pairs for 8 years!

In the summertime, I don't need much more than a bra, tank, and shorts.  However, as the weather chills, I tend to add one of my many basic black leotards and a pair of convertible nude dance tights.  (Normally, I just get a cheap pair of nude tights at Target and cut holes in the bottom of the feet so that they are convertible.)  I also collect legwarmers to wear during the colder months, as well as fun, inexpensive socks.  I almost always wear hoodies to dance too, for I am notoriously chronically cold.

I am never a huge fan of accessories while dancing.  If anything, I use colorful elastic headbands or a rolled up bandana to keep my bangs out of my eyes and off my face.  Even though I usually dance barefoot because it is easier on the dance floor at my school, FootUndeez are definitely another good alternative to wearing shoes.  They are incredibly comfortable and allow dancers to feel as though they are dancing barefoot, while their feet are simultaneously protected from being torn up completely.

So there you have my dancing essentials!  These pieces help to create highly functional dance outfits, and are basic enough that they can also be used in your everyday ensembles.  What do you think?  Do you dance?  What are some of your essentials for your workouts?  Let me know :)

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment