I followed this tutorial from A Beautiful Mess when creating my mugs. Simply put, all you have to do is
- Purchase any inexpensive mug (check Target, they have simple mugs in all price ranges)
- Create a design in any color Sharpie (Don't be afraid to mess up! A damp cloth serves as the perfect eraser)
- Let the mug sit for about 24 hours to allow the design to cure (I did this with two out of the three mugs I made as a precautionary measure)
- Bake the mug in your oven for 30 minutes at 350-375 degrees.
- Allow to cool, and you're done!
- Be sure to hand wash the mug only, being careful not to scrub the design, just in case.
So far, the mugs I have made for my dad, brother, and boyfriend have all held up pretty well after following these procedures. Today, I have included pictures of the mug that I made as part of my boyfriend's 21's birthday present...enjoy!
|Mike loves the musical Rent, so I thought this quirky take on a line from|
"Seasons of Love" would be witty and appropriate for his mug design.
|The final product!|
P.S. A belated Happy Birthday shout-out to my wonderful boyfriend, Mike!! He's 21 and all grown up now :)
|The birthday boy having his first beer :)|