Friday, June 8, 2012

Another Op'nin, Another Show


I am sorry that I have been super lacking in entries the past few days!  I have been extra busy lately what with little jobs I need to get done around my house, trying to get a job, teaching myself music theory, practicing singing and piano, taking care of my grandmother (who, we unfortunately found out a few weeks ago, has some pretty rough cancer), and taking some quality friends/family/boyfriend time to chill, relax, and unwind.

However, recently, my dates with my boyfriend have been less chill guitar-playing, and more theatrically oriented.  He is lucky enough to have gotten an internship position where he writes reviews for various professional shows and is then published.  Since I have been the one accompanying him to these various venues, I have been getting  to see some pretty awesome theatre.

First, we saw Romeo and Juliet...in French opera form.  Though I love music, I learned that opera isn't exactly my thing...I ended up sleeping through a good chunk of an act.  I'm sure that if I enjoyed opera, it would've been incredible, but I'm just not a fan of melodramatic singing and cliched dance moves and storytelling.

Tonight though, we saw Spring Awakening; it was beyond phenomenal.  I knew of a couple of performers beforehand as they either are currently in the same Musical Theatre program as me or recently graduated.  I spent the whole show either with goosebumps, trying to stop myself from bawling, trying to make sure my mouth wasn't hanging open in awe, wishing that I could be in it, or completely lost in the music and story.  Though I knew all the music before I saw the show, I was still astounded by it's depth and power.

Tomorrow night and Saturday, we are going to see Fiddler on the Roof and Sisters of Swing (which tells the story of the famed Andrews Sisters).  Fingers crossed that they're amazing as well!!

UPDATE: Here are the links to his reviews!!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment