Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It's Getting Hot in Herre

Hi, friends!

I'm sorry about my lack of recent posts... I have been computerless these past few days, and thus, unable to post any new blog entries.  My house was one of many that lost power in a sudden, hurricane-strength, storm on Friday evening that devastated parts of Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia.  Of course, the storm chose to hit the area on one of the hottest weekends of the year, which caused the oppressive heat to seep into everyone's homes and lives.  I haven't lost power in a long while at my current house, but at my old house, we tended to lose power quite often in the summertime due to intense summer storms and even stronger hurricanes and tropical storms.


Every time my family or community loses power, I thank my lucky stars that usually, I am able to have electrically generated light, air conditioning, entertainment, news... the list goes on and on.  My siblings and I were so miserable during this recent blackout (especially since our trusty generator decided to breathe its last), so we mostly slept and read and/or studied, depending on the individual.  We wanted to go outside and play or workout but we were worried that we wouldn't be able to cool down afterwards.  We also wanted to go to our old neighborhood pool, but they had lost power there as well and were closed.  We received offers from lucky friends and family to stay in their electrically powered houses, but we were unable to move my disoriented 89 year-old grandmother.  I hated feeling so helpless and at the mercy of electricity, but unfortunately, society has definitely made me a victim of modern conveniences.  Nevertheless, I refused to let the days go by unproductive, so I studied music theory (by sunlight and the light of my phone) until my head spun with key signatures and chord progressions.  Thank goodness for my Thuderbolt smartphone and its ever-so-helpful xPiano app...without it, I would not have been able to understand anything I was studying!


On Sunday, I got a break from the heat when one of my best friends and I escaped to the cool solace of the mall to see the much-anticipated movie Magic Mike.  I absolutely adored the movie.  It was hilarious, sad, sweet, and held my interest the entire time.  (Also, I'm a sucker for all things dance or Channing Tatum related...)  Though it is definitely a movie more geared for the ladies, I recommend Magic Mike to everyone for the story is pretty universal.

After a post-movie pool date with my boyfriend (who had gotten his power back the night before), I met my family for yet another fast food meal (almost all of our refrigerated or frozen food had spoiled).  My family had taken my suffering grandmother out of the hellish heat of our home and had her stay in a nice, cool, hospice house for the night.  Luckily, when we got home, we found that our power had returned and our sufferings were over for the time being!  We were super excited, until we realized that now we could see the mess we had made of our house in the dark, we probably should clean it up...


My entire family was finally able to get a decently comfortable night's sleep.  When I woke up fairly early the next morning, my littlest brother and my younger sister decided that it was time that they would make me love The Big Bang Theory as much as they did.  After making me watch about four episodes, they succeeded; I'm hooked.  I love nerdy people and things, and this show is bursting at the seams with nerdy quirk.  After watching, I remembered reading an article about Big Bang Theory fashion on a blog a while ago, so I looked it up to see if everything now made sense to me.  I loved this article before I had even seen the show, so I now share it with all of you, readers, and I hope that you will enjoy it just as much.

CLICK HERE--> Geek Chic: Fashion Inspired by "The Big Bang Theory"

Later, I was finally able to stretch and workout.  If any of you are ever looking for a pretty intense cardio workout to do in the comfort of your home, I was pretty impressed by the rather time consuming, yet awesome, Absolute Kickboxing workout in the "Free" category of Verizon Fios's "On Demand" channel (it may be available through other cable providers as well!).  This workout was so fantastic because I feel like it definitely targeted and worked my entire body in some capacity.  I felt so much stronger and happier and better when I was done the workout...Check it out!


Enough of my rantings and ravings!! How about you?  How was your weekend?  Have you ever lost power in the summer?  Do you like The Big Bang Theory?  Let me know!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment