Tuesday, July 10, 2012

We Wear Short Shorts


As I told you in my last post, I have been spending a bit of time this summer working on fun DIY projects.

Seeing as my favorite season is summer, it almost goes without saying that I could easily and happily live in dresses and shorts.  Though I like to say that my (way too) extensive dress collection contains a diverse selection of dress styles and designs for every occasion, I definitely cannot say the same for my shorts selection.  Until recently, I have spent most days in a pair of destroyed light wash jean shorts that I got at Forever 21 awhile ago.  I did have a few other pairs, such as a pair of high-waisted cheetah print shorts and and a pair of classic khakis, I find them to be less wearable and frankly, not as comfortable as good ole, worn-in denim.

Luckily though, I found quite a few old pairs of jeans that still fit me rather well.  I just hadn't worn them for awhile for whatever reason. As I cleaned out my pants drawers, I realized that I could upcycle these forgotten jeans by turning them into cutoffs.  However, I wanted each pair to be unique and representative of me; thus, the DIY projects began!

My first DIY project was started a few weeks ago on a whim around midnight.  I had a pair of extremely faded skinnies that I got junior year of high school from Wet Seal.  However, for skinny jeans, they were pretty baggy on me, and were therefore uncomfortable and unflattering.  I cut these jeans into shorts, but their pale, faded complexion looked bland and boring.  So, I looked in my family's art closet and found a bag stuffed with puffy paint (which I used religiously in high school), as well as a flower stencil.  I decided to use red and gold puffy paint with the stencil to create a pair of interesting, floral patterned shorts.  After painting the flowers all over the shorts, I machine washed them to give them a more vintage look and to help the hem to fray nicely.  The last thing I had to do was cuff the raw edge slightly, and I was the proud owner of a new pair of floral patterned shorts!


I discovered my second DIY project while reading the weekly Haute Links on my favorite blog, College Fashion.  They linked a project found on the Free People blog which tells you how you can create your own customized pair of the American flag shorts that have been popping up everywhere recently.  I have wanted my own pair since I saw the cute Americana trend featured in College Fashion's Inspired by Lana Del Rey post.  So, I cut another pair of jeans into shorts (this skinny pair was accidentally purchased in the wrong length from Target), and I began to follow the tutorial to make my own, special pair of American flag shorts.  Of course, I didn't exactly stick to the instructions all the time.  For example, since my jeans had been rather fitted in the hip area, I ripped out part of the side seam and covered the slit with the ever-trendy, light pink lace (which was a cut-up lace shirt that had been ruined in the wash.  Though I still have yet to fade and fray this pair, I really thank Free People for the DIY inspiration, for not only did it turn out well, I had a lot of fun making them and making them unique.


My third DIY was inspired by the pictures of jean shorts with lace edging that have been taking over Pinterest lately.  I am obsessed with lace; though it does not match my comfy, grungy, boho-chic aesthetic, I love anything and everything lace.  Thus, this DIY was an absolute must.  I have a pair of high waisted denim shorts that I had gotten from Forever 21 a few months back.  However, they are so short (especially due to my disproportionately large rear end) that I hardly wear them.  I liked the idea that the lace edging would lengthen the shorts, while simultaneously adding some quirk and class to any outfit.  I found a long length of vintage lace edging in my deceased Grandma's old sewing supplies and simply sewed it to the hem of the shorts.  They are now longer and super cute...best of all, the project was completely free!


So what do you think of these projects?  Have you done any fashion DIY projects as of late?  Let me know!!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment