Monday, December 30, 2013

from now on, it's me and my sweet potato-- casserole?

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and is excited for the New Year right around the corner!  I personally had an awesome Christmas and a very busy Christmas week filled with family food and fun.
Today, I wanted to share with you a recipe for a delicious sweet potato casserole that I made for my family's Christmas dinner.  To preface, I do not like to cook.  I don't like ovens, I don't like knives, I don't like making food.  When I do cook, I consider myself an experimentalist; I mix a variety of foods that I like together in the microwave and then eat them (usually a vegetables, rice, and cheese combo).  That being said, I make this sweet potato dish every year for my family's get together and I really don't mind making it (that means it's easy), and it's really good (according to everyone that's eaten it).  The ingredients and recipes are as follows:

  • 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 pound of butter
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Marshmallows
  1. Boil potatoes with jackets on.
  2. Slide jackets off and mash thoroughly.
  3. Add butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix well (whisking is the easiest way to mix).
  4. Place in a non-stick casserole dish and top with marshmallows.
  5. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until marshmallows brown.
  6. Let cool, and enjoy!
Now, this is not my own original recipe; I got it from one of my grandma's old cookbooks.  Also, I know that it is definitely not the healthiest dish, so feel free to switch some ingredients for healthier alternatives (although the unhealthy version is pretty delicious and worth the caloric splurge).

Do you have any family recipes or traditions that you save just for the holiday season?  Let me know in the comments!!
The Rainbow Family <3
Happy New Year to all :)
Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment