Saturday, August 4, 2012

This Ain't A Song For The Brokenhearted

Hello, dear readers.  I'm sorry to have been missing from the blogosphere as of late.  After recovering from being sick, I went to Hershey, PA for my brothers' last lacrosse tournament of the year and have been insanely busy ever since.  I fully intended that my first post back would be about one of my recent DIY projects, my reinspired infatuation with Batman, some fashion inspired by The Dark Knight Rises, my new purple streak in my hair, an entry about my family trip to a dairy farm bed-and-breakfast in the heart of Amish country...and trust me, these posts are forthcoming.

However, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind with my 89 year-old grandmother who lives with my family and I.  She had been diagnosed with a rapidly progressing stomach cancer earlier in the summer and was given approximately 6 months to a year left to live.  But this past week, she took a rapid turn for the worse that culminated with her passing away at 5:45 this morning from respiratory failure.  As hard as it is to wrap my brain around how sudden this all is, I am thankful that my siblings and parents and I were all there with her at the end.  She is one of the matriarchs of my family and has touched countless lives.  She moved in with my family when I was 10 years-old and we have cared for her ever since.  She has been tough beyond measure and loved us all very dearly.  She is being survived by her son (my dad), her youngest sister, eight grandchildren, countless great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren, a myriad of nieces and nephews, cousins, devoted friends, loving in-laws... the list goes on.  My grandmother touched so many lives in her special little way (and I mean little; she was only 4' 10").  We know she is holding and comforting us all from heaven as she meets up with all of her siblings and daughter and has a big card party, full of music and laughter and fun.

Rest in Peace, Leactryce Joy Smalls Anderson.  We love you so much.

Leactryce Joy Smalls Anderson
September 28, 1922- August 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment