Thursday, August 16, 2012

Dorm DIY: Life is a Work of Art

Hello, everyone!!! Again, I apologize for being MIA for the past week.  My family and I have had a lot going on, what with the arrangements for Grandmother's funeral service and work and preparing for school and everything else going on in our frenzied world.

Speaking of preparing for school, I have spent the summer in a DIY project frenzy.  Obviously, you've seen the majority of my clothes upcycling transformations on my blog.  Now, I am creating oodles of cheap, chic, and creative crafts to both organize and spice up my dorm for the coming school year.  With just over a week to go before I move in (eek!), working on the various crafts has become a part of my daily routine.  I've made so many that over the next few weeks or so, I will try to feature one of my projects each day!!  First up, a repurposed basket-turned-earring display!!

the original basket

My mom got this basket full of lovely smelling soaps and sprays years ago.  Over the years, it has floated around, carrying everything from makeup and hair ties to bills and paperwork.  Earlier in the summer, when she was cleaning out her room, she asked me if I wanted it for anything.  I was about to say no (I'm not exactly a pearl kind of girl), but then I remembered reading this fabulous article about 4 Creative Ways to Store Your Jewelry at College on the ever-resourceful College Fashion forever ago.  That night, I sewed the adorable face of a watch that I had gotten from Urban Outfitters to the center of the basket's base (the rubber watchband had ripped since I always manage to break every watch I own).  I then added my selection of dangling earrings to the holes and voila!! I have a brand new dangling earring display.


This definitely helps me to get more wear out of these earrings because if I can't see something, I usually forget that I own it.  The shape of basket is also really cool because though I initially intended to hang the basket from the wall with a Command hook, I can just as easily sit it on any flat surface.  The tutorial on CF also recommended sitting your display on an easel, which I think is a fantastic idea since easels are usually pretty inexpensive craft store buys.  I also loved the look of the watch face in the center of mine, especially because I thought it too cute to simply throw away.  You can decorate your display with any brooch, clip, or doodad you'd like.  Or, if you have an obscene number of earrings, your display will look just as cute without any accessories!

Like what you see??  Stay tuned for more ideas and tutorials for decor solutions and ideas, perfect for the nearly broke college student.  I have everything from storage tips, wall art, and adding interest and personality to a boring piece of furniture!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment