Friday, August 17, 2012

Dorm DIY: That's Me Lucky Charms!

Hello, readers!! Today, I am continuing my series about fun and unique DIY projects that I have been working on throughout the summer.  These crafts are great for organizing, dressing up a space, and basically making your dorm room or home one of a kind!  The newest craft I've added to my collection is this jewelry tree, which is simply an upcycled candlestick.

 

As you can see, I have a wide array of necklaces, bracelets, and rings that I wanted a way to display.  Last school year, I simply hung my necklaces from my wall with Command hooks, but I wanted a more inspired solution.  I also stored my bracelets and rings in a jewelry box, but like I said yesterday, if I can't see something, I forget I own it.

I found this metal candlestick at my local Goodwill for three dollars.  It was filthy and painted a hideous mix of murky green and black, but I liked the shape of it and I liked how flexible the wire leaves were; I could position them anyway I want.  In order to have the hooks hanging from the top, I had to flip the candlestick upside down.  My dad then sawed off the tiny cup that held the candle so that I could have a flatter and wider base.  However, after some experimenting, I realized that the base was still too small; the weight of my jewelry could easily throw it off balance.  So, I went to my local AC Moore (that store has gotten so much business from me this summer) and I picked up a flat finished wood circle for a mere $0.79!  I then added two coats of inexpensive turquoise gloss enamel (also purchased at AC Moore) to help beautify and unify the two parts of my craft.  After allowing both parts to dry for about an hour, I connected them using my ever-trusty Super Glue.  I added all of my jewelry to the various hooks and bars and leaves and TADA!! I now have myself a one of a kind jewelry tree!

 

Why did I paint it turquoise?  Though it seems like a random choice, there was a method to the madness.  I initially wanted to paint the candlestick gold, but then I realized that much of my jewelry would simply blend in and make it more difficult to locate, grab, and go (something that is CRUCIAL to the college girl always on the run).  I chose this turquoise because the golds and silvers of my jewelry contrasted really beautifully against it.  Also, this shade is a slightly darker variation on one of my favorite colors in the world and will really go nicely with the colors of my room.

What do you think of this DIY project?  It was super easy and cheap and fun!! I'm so excited to display it in my dorm room in a week!!! Stay tuned for more of my crafty creations!!

Love, Leaza

P.S. Be sure to check out my other Dorm DIY post on my Hanging Earring Display!!

No comments:

Post a Comment