Saturday, August 18, 2012

Dorm DIY: Wow Wow, Oh My God, Look at that Rainbow

Happy weekend, everyone!! Today, I am continuing with my Dorm DIY series as I prepare to return to college for the fall semester (six days and counting!).  Before I show you all my latest creation, I have to show you the insanely ridiculous, goofy, but awesome "song" that inspired the title of this post...


Now that I have that out of my system, let's move on to today's craft...

Being the severe Pinterest-addict that I am, I had seen fabulous melted crayon creations like this and this absolutely everywhere.  I fully intended on looking up a tutorial on how to make them, but life just got in the way and I got distracted by something else (story of my life).  However, last week, as I was browsing one of my favorite blogs, LaurenConrad.com, I stumbled upon a tutorial of how to make these colorful creations.  For those of you who don't follow her but like cute and easy DIY projects, LC has been uploading video tutorials of simple and easy crafts on her blog every week called Crafty Creations.  I have been slightly obsessed with these projects and I plan to try each of them throughout the school year when and if I have any spare time.

However, after seeing this video on how to make the adorable crayon wall art, I took initiative and set out to gather supplies.  Mike and I got a 24 pack of Crayola crayons for $0.50 from Target and a 10x10 white canvas from AC Moore (where they are 40% off this week, hurry and get one!!).  I didn't have any glue sticks for my glue gun, so I decided to use Super Glue to hold the crayons in place instead.  Here's how it turned out:

I spread my crayons apart slightly, but I like the look of them flush against each other as well.  This project took maybe about 10 minutes total to complete.  However, I do have a few tips of my own:
  • Try to use a blowdryer that has a separate fan speed setting and keep that setting on "Low".  Mine didn't, so as to not blow the wax right off the canvas, I had to keep the heat setting on "Low" for the most part, which took considerably longer to melt the wax.
  • Do this outside or in a well-ventilated location!!  I don't know if it was the hot super glue or the melting crayon wax, but Mike and I were overwhelmed by fumes galore while doing this in my closed garage.  We had to take a few breaks mid-project just to catch our breath.
I really, really, love this project.  I plan to hang it from my wall at school with an ever-trusty Command hook.  I adore how bright and fun it is and I think that the fact that its made out of crayons (my favorite school supply) gives it a fun back to school twist.  Though I took the easy way out and just laid the crayons straight across the canvas, get creative with this!! Lay the crayons out in different shapes or positions across your canvas, or add your own unique image or accents to the picture.  The possibilities are truly endless.

What do you think about the Crayon Wall Art?  Stay tuned for more Dorm DIYs!!

Love, Leaza

P.S. Be sure to check out my other Dorm DIY posts here and here!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cool project. A grown up way to use crayons!
    I love your DIYs and your blogs. Would you be interested in following each other?
    Asilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed both of you!! Thanks so much, I'm glad you like the tutorial. I definitely recommend trying it, its so much fun :)

    Love, Leaza

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWOWOWOWO that turned out super cool!!

    xoxo, Elle

    www.thehighfeather.com 

    ReplyDelete