Sunday, May 27, 2012

Flow it! Show it! 'Long as God can grow it...My hair!

I have a slightly unhealthy infatuation with hair and hairstyles.  I am biracial (my mom is white and my dad is black) so I naturally have a mane of the strangest hair you've ever seen; it is a golden blonde and curlier than can be described...my curls are curly!  Because I have such unique hair, I am always looking for new and interesting ways to style it.

Braids are my absolute favorite way to pull my hair off my face, especially during the hot summer months. They are so versatile; they work with sweats and tee shirts just as easily as they can work with fancy dresses and heels.  I actually went to a wedding this weekend and my hair was styled in a variety of braids for the car ride out-of-state, the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding itself!  The braids could be so creative and fun and were perfect for keeping my hair off my face and neck in the blazing 90 degree heat.

Wedding Fishtail Braid... inspired by Charlie's Formal Braided Bridal Shower Updo (Gossip Girl)

(Back View)
(Right View)
(Left View)












I wore my hair in this style for the wedding; it kept my hair securely back and contained so it didn't instantly explode from the dense humidity.  This style (which you can find the tutorial to by clicking on the link above) was inspired by Charlie Rhodes/Ivy Dickens's hairstyle at a bridal shower earlier this past season of Gossip Girl.  However, since my hair is quite layered and about medium length, I altered the style a bit for my purposes.  Instead of wrapping two small braids that originate at the base of my neck around my head, I made two tiny Dutch braids stemming from the parting at the crown of my head that stayed connected to my scalp for approximately an inch.  I also kept the French fishtail braid pretty structured and neat, as opposed to the purposely messy approach taken in the original style.  To give the style some extra sweet summer flair, I added two small, inexpensive, flower clips from Forever21  that can be found here.

Rehearsal Dinner French Wraparound Fishtail Braid

My boyfriend and I at the Rehearsal dinner (Sorry for the bad quality!!)
I did not have much time after arriving at the hotel to change and prepare for the rehearsal dinner.  My flat ironed locks were expanding by the minute due to the super hot and long car ride and, being exhausted, I was not in the mood to re-flat iron my uncooperative hair.  At the very last minute, I styled in in a side wraparound fishtail braid, that began at the part on the top of my head, continued to wrap around next to my left ear to the nape of my neck, at which point I just fishtail braided it to the end.  I loved this look because, not only did it keep me cool in the sweltering church, but I love the interest a fishtail brings to a look; its unique shape is so much more exciting and carefree looking than a regular three-strand braid.

Though I create many of my own braids and style shapes, I am also quite influenced by Pinterest photos and hair tutorial videos on YouTube.  My favorite channel to watch for new and unique braids (and hairstyles in general)  is Kayley of LetsMakeItUp1.  She comes out with two new hairstyles per week and I adore nearly all of them.  Linked below are some of my favorite tutorials:

Happy Wedding!
Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment