Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ring Around the Rosie (Winter DIY Series)

As I cry over the outcome of the Redskins playoff game, I bring you part two of my Winter DIY Series.  Like I said yesterday, these are simple projects that are fun to make and great gifts!! 
 

Today's project is a country-chic drink coaster made out of an old CD; easy and super easy to customize (depending on how you decide to finish it).



For this project, you need an old CD or DVD (mine is a Conair blowdryer tutorial), a long bit of twine, some felt, spray paint, and a simple glue gun (be sure you have many, many glue sticks on hand).

I started by wrapping my twine in a spiral shape from the center of the CD moving out, using my glue gun to attach the twine as I went along. 

After I completely covered the CD in twine, I cut the end and secured the loose end with an extra bit of glue.

Next, I traced my CD on my felt.  I cut out that circle and used my glue gun to attach the felt to the exposed underside of my CD.

After securing the felt, I filled in the center of the coaster (CD) with a small spiral of twine that I glued to the felt underneath.

After adding the center, I was essentially finished my project.  However, to give the coaster a more uniform look (and to contrast more with its companion gift), I decided to spray paint the top part of my coaster bronze with a multi-surface metallic paint.  After allowing the paint to dry, I had my brand new coaster (aka, half of my Dad's Christmas present)!!

Stay tuned for even more fun, easy DIY tutorials for any occasion.  Have a good night, all!!

Love, Leaza

No comments:

Post a Comment